checking/unchecking menus after a menu with cascading menus

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 15 11:32:20 EDT 2004

moe2 at shaw.ca wrote:

> ALL of the stack that i have written have special menus. some menuItems are
> checked when that window is active (like the tool palette in RR) OR for
> example the user has to chose a parameter ... the choice is reflected in a
> checkmark before the cascaded menu chosen

Ah, this is a much clearer explanation.  It seems many here had the
impression that when you wrote that you wanted a checkmark next to a
cascading menu that you wanted a checkmark next to a cascading menu.

It's now clear that what you really want is a checkmark next to menu
ITEMS in a cascading menu, which is of course common and is easy to do
in Rev.

>>>where in the RR documentation is there a reference to "parent" ?
>>
>>I don't believe "parent" is a keyword.
>
> i dont believe it is either ... that is why i was asking where people find
> these terms in the RR documentation ... true i have not memorized every word

Heck, me neither.  That would of course be silly.

But if looking for abstract terms like "parent" isn't yielding what
you're looking for, trying a more concrete expression that more
specifically describes what you want might work.  You're looking for
info on checkmarks in cascade menus, so searching for "checkmark" or
"cascade" would seem worth trying.

>>However, searching for "checkmark" with the Search Documentation tool
>>yields eight items in v2.2, with "Recipe for checkMarking a menu item"
>>probably the best bet for what you're looking for.
>
> exactly, now we are getting somewhere. i have memorized these sections. and
> as you see in the documentation that a cascade menu is displayed in a window
> along with this is the RR documentation of how to place a checkMark and
> remove a check mark IN ANY MENU ... including a cascade menu
>
> now that we are on the same page ... this is my problem. i CAN with SCRIPT
> to put a check mark in a menus and take them out but i can NOT put a
> checkmark in a cascade menu ... AND i can NOT get the checkmarks to appear
> in the correct menu when there is more than one drop down menu with one of
> the menus having a cascade menu ... the checkmarks appear but on the wrong
> menuItems

It's impossible to know where your script is failing without seeing it.
  Please post it and one of us will make it work.

> so Mr. Gaskin show me that RR script can be written to check and uncheck the
> example in the documentation !   i say RR has a bug here

That doesn't follow: if you found what you need why is that a bug?

> i was hoping that Ms. Landman Gay would code this for me or any one of the
> other creators of RR.

That Jacque generously gives thousands of dollars' worth of her
consulting time here for free is a noble thing.  To expect or demand
that she work for free is not.

 > i still think the documentation is incorrect, i wish to be proven wrong

Hard to say since you haven't noted what you feel is a bug.

Getting back to results, if you post the code you have I'm sure someone
here will fix it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation