Educational uses for Rev

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 14 18:45:25 EDT 2004

on Sat, 14 Aug 2004
Mark Greenberg wrote:

> I usually don't pipe up in this list, feeling
> somewhat like a meerkat
> among lions and elephants, but now we're talking
> about my field.

Marc, Did you ever receive any mails from Rev
education mail list? I bet that you will feel
at home in that list.

> For about 7 years my students have been using
> computers to learn
> through games that I have designed, and they have
> made presentations
> that include variable dependent animation.  For
> instance, one student
> made a stack that painted a picture randomly in one
> of a dozen color
> schemes and the player had to click on the type of
> color scheme.
> Another made a graph under the normal curve (for
> Stat class) that
> animated according to three different variables, all
> entered by the
> user.  There are scores more.

Did you have a link to see these projects? :-)

> One interesting site that advances the view of using
> video-game
> metaphor as an educational design for programming is
>
> http://www.marcprensky.com/.

This is the second time that Marc Prensky in
mentioned in this thread. ;-)

on Sat, 14 Aug 2004
Marian Petrides wrote:

> I agree.  I have always contended that adventure
> games are more than
> toys, for they teach the scientific method:  try
> something, if it
> doesn't work, modify a variable and try again.  Yet,
> from the student's
> perspective it feels like play.  Isn't that what
> learning SHOULD be:
> FUN?

Interesting enough, the creators of Hot Potatoes,are
promoting a new interactive learning tool: Quandary

<http://www.halfbakedsoftware.com/quandary.php>
_http://www.halfbakedsoftware.com/quandary.php_

Quandary is an application for creating Web-based
Action Mazes. An Action Maze is a kind of interactive
case-study; the user is presented with a situation,
and a number of choices as to a course of action to
deal with it. On choosing one of the options, the
resulting situation is then presented, again with a
set of options. Working through this branching tree is

like negotiating a maze, hence the name "Action Maze".

Action mazes can be used for many purposes, including
problem-solving, diagnosis, procedural training, and
surveys/questionnaires. All of these types of use are
easier to understand by example than they are to
explain, so here are some example exercises.

Tell me if i'm wrong, but how different is this from
a very simple text Role game playing:

<http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Games/Text_Role_Playing_Games/index.html>
_http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Games/Text_Role_Playing_Games/index.html_

al