Educational uses for Rev

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Sat Aug 14 03:47:09 EDT 2004

> But the more I look into it, the more I've noticed one salient oddity
> about visual programming languages as a whole:  most papers published
> about such things span from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, with almost no
> new developments in the last decade.  Indeed, commercial tools like
> Cocoa (the original SK8-based sim-building tool which later became
> KidSim), Prograph, Icon Author, and Authorware are either dead or dying.
>
> So is it the case that all of the truly visual programming languages are
> gone?  Or have I just missed some really cool work going on out there?

I tried prograph but it got quite confusing and tedious to dig through
a hierachy of objects to click. Soon enough you had 20 million windows
opened! But the concept is superb. Too bad it didn't work so well after all.

I tried also VIP-C from Mainstay. Half-C IDE and a HyperCard-like gui
builder
but with the ugly c code. It had 3D, all the right stuff but it came back
again to C debugging and using yet another product to compile the app if all
went well after the build. Not to bad, I developped C codecs with it for a
while. What was nice was the segmentation of the different application parts
much like Flash does now. The script editor has a nice logical graphic of
your code too which was clickeable to jump to the code. I think it still
runs and sells and could be used to create xcmds for macs. You could use
metroworks or other compilers to make the apps.

RR is still better IMOHO. Im trying to compare Rev graphics with graphics in
Flash and see how that works... It seems like a nice environment but much
more confusing than RR... so far...