Educational uses for Rev -- profs talk to gamers?

Erik Hansen erikhans08 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 18:39:47 EDT 2004

--- Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
wrote:

> Unfortunately, most of what I see from
> academics who mess around with
> technology in teaching, amounts to simplistic
> web-based animations.

perhaps because they don't see computers as
more than a gimmicky folder file?

when i suggested to a biologist that her plant
growth
website could do even more with animation
showing incremental progress, the reaction was
a defensive "oh yes, and i could add some waving
arms!" no, she was not a programmer.

a math prof felt that animating the progress of
a mathematical function was a cop-out, not real
thought.

a class in neural networking i once took
had  step-wise representation of a function's
progress in a Variable Watcher and in a graph.
i never would have gotten the idea from the
prose.

many "get" the concept of a sine wave only
after seeing a visual representation.

maybe the profs should talk to the game writers?

Erik Hansen

=====
erik at erikhansen.org    http://www.erikhansen.org