Educational uses for Rev

rodney tamblyn rodney at infiny.co.nz
Thu Aug 12 18:43:57 EDT 2004

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your interesting posting, and to everyone else who has
contributed to this thread

I've been involved in developing educational media software for over 10
years, at a University here in NZ until a few years ago when I went out
on my own.  A lot of my early work was in the area of computer assisted
learning, using HyperCard.  Later I branched out into other academic
disciplines, particularly medical teaching. I'm also convinced of the
potential of applications like Revolution to contribute to meaningful,
constructivist, student-centred online learning spaces.

Over the last two years I've been trying to put these ideas into
practice in a commercial form.  I've just released the results of this
work, an application called OceanBrowser (PC/OSX) to my first
customers. Developed in Revolution it combines a set of learning
objects, a backend database on the internet for collaborative data, and
a content management system for course data distributed on CD-ROM.
It's designed to allow people to start out with what they have and feel
comfortable with, and to gradually increase the interactivity/scope of
learning activities as time and resources allow.  It's important to the
business model that the software is practical out of the box.

For those of you who are interested in the detail of the current
product, here's a little more information.  My initial customers are
all involved in online postgraduate medical education.  They have a
well defined set of requirements, which include the ability to work
with complex multimedia such as VR movies, audio, and large numbers of
high resolution images.  They also have a lot of documents that need
distribution, typically Acrobat documents and Powerpoints.  We
converted the latter to Flash in order to more seamlessly display them
in OceanBrowser.   The product uses Altuit's excellent Altbrowser dll
(on the Windows platform) to show web content.  OceanBrowser supports a
custom protocol ("ocb://") which allows academics to embed links in web
pages or emails to point to specific learning resources in
OceanBrowser.  When the student clicks on this link, OceanBrowser will
open, retrieve the resource (typically from a database stored on the
local computer) and display.  Next to every resource displayed in the
system is a comments area that "tracks" the content being showed.
Users can post comments to this area, which may also embed appropriate
metadata (e.g. posting to an audio item includes link to the timepoint
the user was at in the audio file, posting to Flash powerpoint links to
slide).  "Resource" can be anything ranging form a document (pdf,
webpage), multimedia (image, movie) to an application (Flash player,
Director projector, etc).  The foregoing list may seem to be overly
orientated around document distribution, as I said though, my users
have a large body of existing content they need to work with, so stage
one is to address these problems.

One of the more interesting learning objects in the system at the
moment is an image annotation tool, which allows the user to view or
create multimedia annotations to an image (by drawing a region on the
image, recording an audio commentary, and providing additional
information such as name, description etc).  This has been based on
some research I've been doing over the last year or so, and I hope to
extend these annotation features to support true, distributed,
collaborative image annotation.

With OceanBrowser I'm hoping that by creating a sustainable business
model I'll be able to afford to invest the time into interaction
design, prototyping, and research (review of educational
literature/other products) that will be required to implement some of
the more exciting educational ideas that I want to see in the product
over time.

The new website for Oceanbrowser.com will be going up in a couple of
weeks, now that the software product is complete.  I hope then that we
can put some demo content up for everyone to have a look at.

Regards,

Rodney