Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Aug 12 16:24:47 EDT 2004

Troy Rollins wrote:

> But you see, I'm not talking about "applications" or "multimedia", I'm
> talking about functions. I have no debate about Rev's ability to produce
> applications - as you said, one of my own commercial apps is written in
> Rev, and I don't regret it. Director is MUCH harder to get to produce
> "applications" that look and behave like "applications."

Troy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. This is good feedback stuff :-)

Originally, this thread began with the comment that I believed Director
would have problems building a ButtonGadget type 'application.' That is
why I focussed on applications. Based upon what you just said, I assume
it is easier to build applications in Rev than Director. We are alligned
on that point :-)

IMO, the ability to deliver an app involves a number of factors,
including having the 'correct' imaging tools available. Based upon what
you have said, I'm impressed with what Director can do! You've also
pointed out some of it's shortcomings as well.

I wish I could try out the application demo you sent me a link to.
Unfortunately, it's a 'purchase or none' type of product. I'd like to
better understand what it is they are doing and see how much of it is
possible in Rev.

Troy, you're obviously knowledgeable about both of these platforms.
Based upon that knowledge, what do you think would be most difficult
imaging tasks if you were to port your streamlogger app to Rev? This can
give us valuable insight into the directions Rev might be able to take
to have better imaging tools.

-Chipp