Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Aug 12 13:30:38 EDT 2004

On Aug 12, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Don't shoot the messenger.

Oh, I'm not.

And, I'm not "all about Director" either, BTW. But, the product is a
pretty powerful and viable one. Rev is amazing, but try as this list
might, it is NOT the be-all end-all in all categories. It can be easily
outperformed in image processing.

I'd be very interested to hear in what way Revolution outperforms
Director graphically, under quartz, or any other Director supported OS.
I just can't see that happening under *any* circumstances. I use these
tools daily. This is not second hand knowledge, list archives, or web
site reading. It is practical experience, by an experienced developer,
using the current versions of the tools.

> BTW: Does MMD still have the logo requirement for products built with
> it, or has it joined Coder Warrior, XCode, and Rev in requiring only a
> "portions copyright" string in the About box?

Actually, they have eliminated all requirements of that nature
altogether for anything designed with DMX2004.

All I ever said on the subject was that Imaging is not (yet) one of
Rev's strong suits, yet somehow I get put in the position of defending
Director as having capabilities beyond Revolution's - which I can
assure you, in certain particular areas, it does - so the defense is
not that difficult, requiring only the truth. These areas may, or may
not be, important to the work of the list members, or those reading the
archives to determine Rev's suitability for their own work. In *some*
of my work, it is important. This is the reason I even ever mentioned
it, I'd like to see Rev be more capable in this regard, so that I don't
have to maintain knowledge in several IDEs to accomplish my goals.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.