Educational uses for Rev (was Re: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Aug 12 12:12:54 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

I've been following the discussion about Rev as a tool for educational
s/w development. One of the perhaps overlooked uses of Rev in the
educational setting is as an easy-to-learn, non-threatening environment
for teaching programming concepts to non-techies. We teach just such a
course and made the decision back in the v. 1.0 days to make the change
to Revolution. We've negotiated the minefields of buggy early releases,
and today, starting our fourth year of teaching Rev, we're pretty happy
with it. It's allowed us to better utilize our teaching and classroom
resources.

At the same time Rev provided us a way to migrate our older HyperCard
and Toolbook custom apps to a new, single-track code base. We are not
primarily concerned with producing marketable educational software
(although we will do so if a demand emerges), but mainly with producing
and maintaining software for the use of our foreign langauge and
humanities students here in house.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University