Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Aug 11 16:17:25 EDT 2004

At 15:39 11/08/2004 -0400, Troy Rollins wrote:

>On Aug 11, 2004, at 3:30 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>>I concur heartily with all that Alex said about RR and Python.
>
>Really? You consider Rev particularly strong in Imaging and Multimedia too?
>
>I've been biting my tongue on that one.

Yeah - I figured a few people might rise to that one, based on recent
discussion on this list. I do not have the experience with other tools
mentioned recently that are strong in this area.  I even put in the caveat
>...... multimedia (other on the list might disagree because they are
>experienced in other tools in that area, where I'm not).

But I still think it's true in the context of Kevin's question - he said

>I'm in the process of studying Tcl/Tk, and also plan
>to look at C++ (Qt), Java (Swing) and Python (wxPython).

and I have no doubt that RR is streets ahead of any of those for
multimedia. Imaging might arguable using PIL or similar - but I'm pretty
sure RR is well ahead for multimedia.

You went on to say ....
>String handling, yes, network and internet, yes, file system, yes... but
>Imaging and Multimedia?

Actually, I don't think RR excels at network and internet; it does them OK,
but without broader library support it can't be said to excel. (e.g. NNTP,
NTP, IMAP, POP3, email header parsers, Mime-type handling, etc.). Any of
those could built in RR (perhaps more easily than in many other languages),
but until they are supported in the standard package, or in well organized
add-ons, RR is still lagging.

-- Alex.