Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Aug 11 15:30:32 EDT 2004

Kevin....

I concur heartily with all that Alex said about RR and Python. I would
add only two more thoughts.

First, until PythonCard (an  OpenSource project to which I have been an
on-and-off contributor and whose founder is a good friend) is mature,
there really isn't a good direct-manipulation graphical IDE for Python.
This makes building apps far too time-consuming if they need
sophisticated cross-platform UIs, as all apps I build require. My guess
is that PythonCard is at best a year from ready for prime time.

Second, as a programming language Python is unexcelled. If I could use
RunRev to create the UI and Python as a scripting language, I'd be in
hog heaven. As much as I love Transcript -- and I really do -- Python
runs circles around it linguistically FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME who is
steeped in object-oriented design, analysis, programming, and thought.
Please don't take that to mean I think Python is purely and always
better than Transcript. As I said, I love Transcript.

As an aside, I've been thinking for some time in sort of deep
background mode about figuring out how to make RunRev UIs into a
graphical layer that calls Python scripts so I could have the best of
both worlds. I'm not yet steeped enough in how that would work beyond
some very simple ability to execute a Python script via the shell()
function, but it remains one of those projects I hope I get to someday
but would be delighted if someone beat me to doing!