memory - why isn't it getting freed

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Wed Aug 11 13:24:30 EDT 2004

Chris,

Also probably worth noting- with Valentina you can control the size of
the cache, so if your data is small and you want to conserve memory,
you can always make the cache smaller. Otherwise, shutting down the
database is actually a pretty normal way to dispose of a cache- most
databases want to keep the cache big and persistent to increase
performance and so releasing the cache is actually one of the primary
purposes of a shutdown method (other than closing connections to
database files).

FWIW.

> Thanks, Robert.  I was able to make a called to Valentina("Shutdown"),
> and
> that will at least clear my cache. Then I'm able to reinitialize the
> Valentina kernel after that.
>
> Strange behavior going on here, but at least there's a workaround, for
> which
> I'm very grateful.  I was having much stress over this one. :-)
Brian Yennie
Chief Technology Officer
QLD Learning, LLC
(941)-928-7127