errorDialog Message question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 11 12:41:52 EDT 2004

Jerry Daniels wrote:

> RIchard,
>
> Thanks for the info. I think I already understood backscripts. I did
> try changing the order of my backscripts. What I can't do is get my
> errorDialog handler to catch a message in my back script without
> removing revBackScript permanently.
>
> I insert my backscript, then remove revBackScript, then insert
> revBackScript again, so that my backscript will come before
> revBackScript in the hierarchy. No dice. Doesn't seem to work. Nada.
> Try it and see.
>
> 1. Create a btn with an errorDialog handler
> 2. Insert its script into back
> 3. Remove revBackScript from back
> 4. Insert revBackScript into back
> 5. Create another button that causes an execution error
> 6. Click the error-producing button
>
> Does your errorDialog handler get called? Mine doesn't.
>
> I have tried other variations of this as well. Remove revBackScript,
> insert my backscript, and then re-insert revBackScript. Nada as well.

I think I found the culprit:

The "Script Debug Mode" item in the Development menu is set by default
in a new installation, and when set the message being sent is
traceError, which is handled in revFrontScript.

Putting a traceError handler in a frontScript should address that, and
determining if indeed the Script Debug Mode is being set without direct
user action would be helpful.

What property does the "Script Debug Mode" menu item set, and why is it
beneficial to ship with a default setting that's different from the
engine default?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation