OT MacinTalk

Peter T. Evensen pevensen at siboneylg.com
Tue Aug 10 14:26:43 EDT 2004

Actually MacInTalk was introduced with the very first Mac in 1984, so that
at the unveiling it could introduce itself...

see http://developer.apple.com/technotes/pt/pdf/pt_22.pdf

Here's an excerpt:

For the introduction of the Macintosh computer, it was decided (by the
powers formerly in charge) that such a computer
would need something very special to make it a unique event. To aid in this
concept, a third-party company was contracted
to write a speech synthesizer which would allow the Macintosh computer to
introduce itself. The contract was signed, and
the work begun.

The outcome of this work was MacinTalk. MacinTalk is a file that can be
placed into the System Folder of an ordinary
Macintosh computer and allow text to be transformed into speech for the
introduction in 1984. It was felt to be an
interesting piece of software, so Apple made it available to developers.
Interfaces to MacinTalk were published and Apple
Software Licensing allowed it to be included with developers' products.