Slow animation on OS X

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 10 13:57:24 EDT 2004

Troy Rollins wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Judy Perry wrote:
>
>> I think this is a known issue... about to go away along with the
>> animation
>> builder...
>

> True, but we have been told that RR has something better in mind...
> though it won't be in 2.5 - for now, "in mind" is the only place it will
> be.

There's an oddity about OS X that may be at the root of this:  the
screen update mechanism with OS X's Quartz is very different from
earlier models, and often needs to be explicitely notified to update or
it will wait until its own update interval has occurred.

To nudge OS X to update is simple enough -- just add this to animation
loops:

    wait 0 with messages

Again, I'm not sure if this is related to the Anim Mgr issue
specificallty, but I've seen many cases where updates are being drawn by
the Rev engine but not yet visible on screen (such as status info in
fields to indicate loop progress), and this simple one-liner seems to do
the trick and will hopefully be useful to others.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation