Slow animation on OS X

Greg Hall greghall at uvic.ca
Mon Aug 9 15:51:10 EDT 2004

Hi. I just started using revolution trial on OS X, and it works good so
far but I am having a problem with animation being uselessly slow on OS X.

I am going thru the animation builder tutorial.

When I play an animation using the Animation Builder, it works exactly
like it should, the circle fades in nicely, the text moves nice and
smoothly across the window.

When I play the same animation in browse mode, or in a standalone app, the
animation of the cirlce is the same, but the text is awful - I see about 6
frames out of 60! I tried animating the circle instead to see if it's just
text, and got the same result.

The PPC standalone works fairly smoothly under OS X Classic emulation, you
just have to run it a couple of times to get it going at optimal frame
rate.

I quit all other running apps and tried rebooting just to be sure the app
gets enough cpu time.

Why do OS X native apps animate objects so slowly? Is there anything I can
do about it? It's too slow to even be usable as an application.

My system:

G4 400Mhz
1GB ram
Revolution 2.2.1