Arrgh... Weird text issue(s)

Bob Nelson bobnelson at mac.com
Tue Aug 10 03:13:13 EDT 2004

I've got a strange problem which I'm prone to call a "bug" and yet I'm
reluctant to 'go-there' without some guidance from the group (fearing I may
have pulled some bone-head stunt that makes it "my fault").

Here's the story - I'm parsing data (thanks to those who pointed me in some
very good directions in the past!) by sucking down a web page, massaging the
text to dispose of the chaff, and producing the anticipated output - tab
delimited, hard return, formatting looks just like I want it.

Problem is that this routine takes place about 500 times - going to
different pages created by ASP or something and sucking back the data.

Along the way, the parsed data gets put into a field "holder" and the next
parsed line gets added to the end - no big deal, normally!  However, I'm
getting strange "characters" when the third or fourth line is written in
succession.  And if I copy that text off, it is strange indeed...

I've stepped through my routine and it is obviously working flawlessly -
until we get to that third or fourth iteration...

Another "weird" thing I've noticed -- Even though the process cycles to the
next record in the list and prepares to grab the file, for some reason, the
program "thinks" that we're talking about the last record -- even though the
reference to the last record has been deleted from the list.

Anybody encountered any similar weirdness that they might be able to tell me
about?  Anybody want to look at my creation to see if I've gone and done
something really stupid (I'm really not seeing a problem here!)?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
--
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.  Albert
Einstein.