Flash roots

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Aug 9 00:16:00 EDT 2004

SmartSketch was Charlie's first product after he sold the Silicon Beach
products to Aldus. The original programmers were none other than the
same ones who had worked on SuperPaint (bitmap and vector drawing
package with 'Laserbits').

I was a frequent user of many Silicon Beach products and fortunate to
have Charlie send me a pre-release copy of SmartSketch. It later became
FutureSplash and then Flash. Certainly Charlie didn't know where it
would end up before he sold it to Macromedia!

SmartSketch was one of the first cross-platform draw apps out there, and
ingenious in the way it approached vector graphics as if they were bitmaps.

-Chipp