Further on Platform Specificity

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 8 18:15:44 EDT 2004

Dan Shafer wrote:

> If small developers want or need to create software for multiple
> platforms, it is crucial that they not be expected to maintain multiple
> code bases to do so. To the extent that the toolset they use supports
> OS-specific features and these features are incorporated, they end up
> with a situation where they have to maintain multiple code bases or, in
> the not-less-unattractive alternative, incorporate lots of
> platform-checking conditional code.
>
> This kind of thing can kill a small developer.

Agreed. Fortunately Rev insulates most platform-specific requirements
from the developer, with the exception of irreconcilable
incompatibilities like AppleScript (essential for Mac OS but absent from
Win) and the Registry (essential for Win but absent from Mac).

All in all most of the work I do has less than 2% platform-specific code.

Rev is very much like a virtual machine, with the extra benefit that you
can step outside the sandbox as needed, giving you the best of both worlds.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation