Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 8 12:07:53 EDT 2004

--- Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:
> On 8/7/04 10:57 PM, "Chipp Walters"
> <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:
>
> > I take both InfoWorld and EWeek. Both have had
> multiple articles about
> > the 'disenfranchisment' (is that a word?) of VB
> developers with .NET
>
> This is more I think about VB developers not wanting
> to go to .NET because
> it represents a major paradigm shift for them. (BTW:
> I'm one of them. ;-)
>
> > And you know the last version of VB before .NET
> will soon no longer
> > be supported.
>
> Well, I know that Microsoft at some point will stop
> supporting VB 6 and only
> support VB.NET.
>
> > The latest I've heard from Chris, who stays on top
> of this stuff, is
> > that to use the more advanced features in .NET,
> you'll have to use C#.
>
> Well that's true. Although it seems that a number of
> people still think
> VB.NET will be supported in Longhorn, although that
> will probably strand us
> VB 6 developers if they don't allow for support of
> VB 6 apps in Longhorn.
>

> Ken Ray

I've been taking VB.NET as evening classes, and I must
say it's pretty good actually ; of course I had only
dabbled with VB6 in the past so I didn't have the
re-learning curve ; to me it was just learning a
language like C++ and looking at a framework like the
Think Class Library.
The key thing is that in the .NET environment, Basic
is just a programming language with only a different
syntax from C#, but with access to all the same
commands and functions, so it is no longer a
second-rate programming language whoch forced you to
use Visual C++ to accomplish advanced tasks.
To give VB developers complete access, a lot of things
had to change, alienating older users. VB6 however, is
quite dead and this presents an opportunity -- we just
have to beat RealBasic to this potential audience. And
the best way to do that is to offer them all they're
used to, the most important being ActiveX components.

Jan Schenkel.

=====