Is Rev too "Mac focused"?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Aug 7 22:08:45 EDT 2004

On 8/7/04 5:54 PM, "MisterX" <b.xavier at internet.lu> wrote:

> But it is easy and noticeably shorter and doesn't block RR...
>
> on doVBS x
>   get shell("start" && x)
> end doVBS
>
> Although not built in, these are easy to do with the shell type commands.
> Unlike externals, they dont tie up the RR environment (dont have to) and
> there's so many...
>
>> From there you can also access COM, and DLL objects too probably.
> Check out shellcity.net for a good start at what is available...

Xavier, I'm not saying there aren't workarounds. I do them myself, of
course. But the 'shell("start")' only works if you have a VBS file to begin
with, which must be written out before it can be performed. So it takes
several lines to execute something which should be a one-liner in Rev.

Imagine if you had to create a text file with AppleScript in it and execute
it from shell(). Of course you *could* do it, but it's much easier to use
"do <script> as AppleScript".

And as to COM and DLL, once again, I shouldn't have to hunt around for
command-line apps to call - I should be able to link directly to a DLL and
execute a function that it contains.

My point was not to say that you *couldn't* do these kinds of things in Rev,
but it is not straightforward enough to convince PC people who have done
this forever with single line calls in other development environments.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com