Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Aug 7 15:07:41 EDT 2004

On Aug 7, 2004, at 3:12 PM, MisterX wrote:

> While looking at some graphic functions theory and how to translate,
> Actionscript, java to TS, I noticed that the 3D in Flash is simply
> anymations
> made in Swivel3D. The rest is just smart line handling.

This is true, Flash is not much of a 3D environment... well, actually
it doesn't have one at all. I've done some 3D in Flash (with swift3D)
and I've used exporter tools from 3D apps which generate "rendered"
vectors of 3D scenes, but it isn't the same, since the user cannot
change camera angles, etc.

I'd like to see a true 3D layer in Rev, probably based on openGL.
Director has this, as does RealBasic, and it is one of the areas that
Rev is behind. An antialiased 2D library is missing as well. Fast
bitmap manipulation like Director has with "Imaging lingo" is another.
Graphically, Rev is a long way behind in pretty much every way, and I'm
hoping to see that change.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.