Plea to sell Dan's book widely

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Aug 6 23:47:14 EDT 2004

On Aug 6, 2004, at 5:54 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I did find the Mac-orientation of Revolution a bit off-putting at
> first. Hypercard (and Applescript, and QT and ...) are mentioned so
> often, and so much discussion includes Mac mentions, that I did wonder
> initially just how "cross-platform" Rev would be - or whether it was
> really 80% a Mac application, with a token ability to run on other
> platforms. The apparent focus on Mac/Apple (conferences, Macworld
> announcements, etc.) could easily "scare" Windows (or Unix/Linux)
> users. I think it would be a good idea for some "balancing" if
> possible.

I think that this isn't an issue of Windows versus Mac, but one of
Windows developers versus Mac developers. One of Rev's greatest
strengths and marketable features is its inherently multi-platform
nature. A feature that Windows developers generally don't give a whit
about. Windows developers (typically) are not Mac savvy, and don't even
consider developing anything for Mac. In fact, your initial reaction
would be typical, I think. Why mess up an IDE and scripting language
with all that Mac oriented rubbish? What's with this plain English
programming?

Mac developers, on the other hand, know well that they generally *must*
develop for Windows in order for their products to be seriously
marketable to the general public. Virtually all Mac developers that I
know (Hypercarders excepted) develop multi-platform, and look for
multi-platform tools to develop with. Windows users are not
specifically looking for multi-platform tools, they are looking for the
tools with the most advanced Windows features they can find. There is
an argument to be had that Rev is somewhat limited in advanced Windows
features because of its well-balanced multi-platform feature set.

I'm not saying one approach is better or worse, each developer needs to
choose that for themselves. I'm just making the point that *if* Rev's
focus has any bias to Mac at all, it is because the Mac developers are
very receptive to their offerings, needing such tools perhaps more than
Windows developers. Windows developers are certainly not scrambling to
find a HyperCard replacement, for instance.

Which is a long way of saying that I assess that RunRev is trying to
appeal, at least initially, to those most receptive to what they have
to offer. Hypercard and Applescript are often mentioned because the
languages are virtually identical to Transcript... and all three are a
loooong way from VB Script. QuickTime is mentioned because it is the
primary media engine on both platforms for Revolution, as it is the
only truly cross-platform media solution.

Marketing Revolution to Mac developers is easy. Marketing it to Windows
developers (other than a certain segment) is swimming against the tide.
It can be done, but it is certainly a harder road to travel. There is a
lot more "education" to do, in order to get Windows developers to
recognize the value... if in fact, it does have value to them over
their current tools.

> [ Occasionally, I still think there's too much Mac focus - but I'll
> keep that argument for another day when my skin is feeling thicker :-
> ]

Ah, OK. Standing-by.  ;-)
--
Troy