Plea to sell Dan's book widely

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Aug 6 17:54:03 EDT 2004

At 18:02 06/08/2004 +0200, MisterX wrote:

>However, spending dire marketing money on the ADC is IMOHO a big
>waste. What is 200000 users when you can have double that with
>a single post in Slashdot.org (/.) alone! Oh, I almost forgot, it's
>free and revisitable... However RunRev has not made much talk there
>and there's a catchup to do if you want the book to find even more
>success...

Well, I found RunRev through a link from /. (it might have been indirect -
a /. link to someone's weblog talking about different scripting languages,
and it mentioned Revolution - don't remember now).

>Separately, in RunRev's case, I dont know how much /. banner ads
>cost but surely their success have to worth the money more than
>anywhere else... Question is how does RR want to market itself and
>to whom... I started with Macs, dont get me wrong, but PC's are not
>to be undermined - at 9x% of the market...

I did find the Mac-orientation of Revolution a bit off-putting at first.
Hypercard (and Applescript, and QT and ...) are mentioned so often, and so
much discussion includes Mac mentions, that I did wonder initially just how
"cross-platform" Rev would be - or whether it was really 80% a Mac
application, with a token ability to run on other platforms. The apparent
focus on Mac/Apple (conferences, Macworld announcements, etc.) could easily
"scare" Windows (or Unix/Linux) users. I think it would be a good idea for
some "balancing" if possible.

[ Occasionally, I still think there's too much Mac focus - but I'll keep
that argument for another day when my skin is feeling thicker :- ]

-- Alex.