Error message "Can't find handler" (was "Object: value is not a boolean (true or false)")

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Aug 6 12:20:37 EDT 2004

On Aug 6, 2004, at 3:58 AM, Terry Vogelaar wrote:

> I added a test function to both stacks with the same name to see which
> of the two is called. To my surprise, the one in the login stack is
> called! At least that explains the "Can't find handler" error. That is
> the stack with the executed script in it, but that one is closed at
> the moment of the call; the other stack should be the frontmost at
> that time and thus it should receive messages. Or am I wrong about
> this?

well, assuming I understand your setup and how your are thinking about
it, you are wrong about this.  Ignoring shared groups (backgrounds),
the message path  from a button, say, for a mouseUp, goes like this:

front scripts
button clicked
groups the button is in, if any
card the button is on
stack the card is in
*
its main stack if it is a sub stack
libraries
back scripts

(* There is a bug.  In the standalone, the libraries seem to be also
here.)

Frontmost does not enter into this.

> Is there a way to explicitly tell RunRev which stack should handle the
> call?

Look at 'send', 'call' and 'value()'.

Dar Scott