sound in revolution

Malte Brill malte.brill at t-online.de
Thu Aug 5 04:04:09 EDT 2004

Hi Andrew,

>Hello, List.  I was just wondering where I could get more information
>about dealing with sound and music in Revolution.

This list is a great place to start ;-)

> Maybe someone could
>answer some of my basic questions or refer me to a very simple,
>beginner's tutorial.  (Well, not too beginners. I know how to import a
>sound and play it.)

So you know how to play an audioclip, right?

>1. What's the less expensive sound file in terms of space?  Wav?  Mp3?
>Any considerations for short or long samples?

You only can play MP3 if you use a player object. That will require to
reference to the file. I suggest you look into how to set a filepath by
script if external files are an option. (See about absolute and relative
paths in the Rev Docs) The less memory costy would be to use MIDI Files . As
these contain no Audio data they are really small. But you are dependant of
the Synthesis offered by QT or the playback engine... If you need digital
audio, try mp3 in a player object.

>2. How do you play/stop/open/close MIDI files from inside Rev?
Use a player.

>3. Has anyone heard of .nsf files?  Can these be played with Rev?

Never heared of it. A quick google search showes me that these are Nintendo
sounddumps. I doubt one can play these without an external. Same with .mod
files. Even though I wish there was aa modfile player external. A free
library is around, I am just afraid wrapping it into an external is over my
head.

>4. In HC we used to be able to change the pitch and tempo of a sound
>file.  We could also play sounds on different "channels".  Is there a
>way to do these things with Rev?

Again, use a player. You can´t set the pitch, but the speed audio is played
back. You can have multiple players play at the same time.

>Thanks so much

You´re welcome.

Best,

Malte