Any Chatters? Revisited

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Tue Aug 3 13:14:18 EDT 2004

> iChat uses the AIM service, for which there are compatible clients
> for Mac, Win, and AFAIK Linux.
>
> I guess Rev's Irix users may be out of luck. ;)
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Media Corporation

You say Irix "users" (plural)??? There is actually an Irix port of the
Linux gAim chat thingie. It works, but its gui looks terrible because of
font issues. The text is unreadable. Irix aside though, I primarily use
Windows 2000 from behind a corporate firewall. Aim is blocked. Streaming
is blocked. Downloading MP3 or WAV files is blocked. It's like a giant
"fun filter" to force work to happen. Anyway, as Troy suggested, something
built-in to the dev environment would be great. And having it communicate
over the standard port 80 with a new rev-chat-specific protocol would
accommodate the firewall requirement and prevent it from being filtered
out.

Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>