Corruption from Images

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 07:48:51 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:22:38 -0400, pkc <pkc at mac.com> wrote:

>Hi Richard, thanks for that terrific essay. In principle I understand
>what you mean. How can a person tell if an "image object" is actually
>corrupting the stack?  I never got any corruption messages from
>Revolution, and never even thought of corruption until Ken found it.
>Revolution happily ran the stack in the IDE, built both the OS X and
>Windows apps without comment, and the OS X application runs fine.
>The only hint of trouble came when the Windows app had reached it
>destination and couldn't be opened. I wonder if there is any way to
>get a hint of impending trouble during the compilation or during the
>build?

Coming very late to this discussion (after a few days away, I am
overwhelmed even by digest postings on this list), I'd just like to say
that I've been through something very similar: for months I was convinced I
had an issue with the Windows engine, and even got the problem into
Bugzilla - what used to happen was that an app of mine worked perfectly
under OSX and Windows XP but crashed consistently in W98 - but it wasn't
until I asked RR Support to look at it via a paid-for incident that Mark
Waddingham finally found that one image was corrupted. This was replaced
and after that everything worked perfectly.

BTW at no time did the Windows engine or IDE report a corrupted stack:
instead Windows itself crashed, apparently on a 'no resources' error, which
I don't pretend to understand. During the crash some pretty weird things
happened, such as invisible stacks becoming visible and the whole screen
refresh seizing up. Being basically a Mac guy I couldn't make anything of
these symptoms.

Clearly one could blame Windows for being sensitive to corruption and
having no error-reporting mechanism, but it still seems weird to me that
the corruption didn't affect the app under other OSs - certainly there was
no visual evidence at all.

Nowadays I am always on the alert for these image problems when other
explanations have failed.

Graham