How to see if player is "done"?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Aug 2 18:46:28 EDT 2004

On 8/2/04 4:08 PM, Phil Davis wrote:

> Hi List -
>
> Some context:
>
> When using VIDEOCLIPS (embedded movies), we have two language features
> available that help us detect whether a clip is still playing:
>   - the "movie" function
>   - the "playStopped" message
>
> When using PLAYERS to play movies (referenced files), we apparently have
> only one such feature available:
>   - the "playStopped" message

You should be able to use all the messages, regardless of where the
actual movie file is stored. The Player object acts the same regardless
(or it is supposed to.) I have an app that loads QT movies from disk and
it uses all the standard Player messages.

> My questions:
>
> 1) Is "playStopped" truly the only non-workaround way you can detect the
> current 'play' status of a player?

If you aren't getting this message, file a bug report. It got broken in
the past, then it got fixed, then it got broken and fixed again, and now
I'm not sure what its status is (but I thought it was okay now.)

If you just need to see if the movie is running or not, then check the
paused property, as others suggested.

> 2) If so, what is your most reliable workaround way of detecting this?

In addition to the other suggestions, another way is to set the
callbacks of a movie. I've used these in the past, setting the callback
time to the duration of the movie. In effect, it creates my own custom
"playStopped" message.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com