hasMemory

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Aug 2 17:20:04 EDT 2004

The little I know is that in Supercard, it would return to you whether
or not a given number of bytes could be allocated. IIRC (and I might
not!) people tended to use it in order to detect a low-memory
situation, i.e. if hasMemory(1024*1024) failed then there was less than
1MB of memory to be had and that might be trouble.

Since Supercard is Mac-only, and the function was first written for OS
9 where each application has a fixed memory allocation, it was probably
well-defined if still a bit unusual. I'm guessing the Rev "half
implementation" gets stuck on the meaning of the whole thing on other
OS'es  with swap files and shared memory and all of that good stuff.

Conclusion- I would stay way unless you want something specific on
MacOS and can verify that it works.

FWIW...