Determining type of drive a file is on

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Aug 2 16:21:27 EDT 2004

I'm responding to two messages at once.  Please don't think less of me
;-)

On 8/2/04 2:12 PM, "Scott Rossi" <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> Windows, I don't know, but on OS X maybe you might be able to get
> something
> from System Profiler?

This looks promising.  Now, is there a command line tool that gives
this info in OS X...

On Aug 2, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Well, I know you can find out what type a drive is (like removable,
> fixed,
> etc.) on Windows, but I don't know if you can find out specifically if
> it's
> a USB flash drive vs. a Zip drive, etc.

Hmm, if I could tell the difference between a CD-ROM and USB that would
be great.  I'm still in the pondering stages of something but the idea
is basically that we may have a training app distributed on USB flash
drive (still have to do some speed tests, etc.).  We don't need hard
core copy protection but one of the things we don't want the casual
user to do is burn the data to a CD and give it to their friend.  I'm
just looking at different methods I might be able to use to tie data to
a USB flash drive.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia