Auto Full Screen for presentations

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Aug 1 14:48:03 EDT 2004

Some applications like Power Point, DVD players Acrobat automatically
fill the entire screen if you open a presentation, regardless of the
resolution of the monitor. If there is an aspect ratio to be maintained
the unused areas of the overly long screen dimension are set to black.

I've never tried to make this happen with my revolution apps, as,
personally I didn't think it was a good idea and since I work on a 21
inch apple cinema display filling the entire screen seemed a bit over
kill.

I've always stuck with hiding the desk top.

But some presenters  expect this behavior (auto use entire screen), if
they have to give a class to children or make a presentation to a
board, they just expect to boot up the application and viola the entire
screen is taken up.  And I have noticed that on some windows machines
the physical screen is just a standard 12" desktop screen but the
resolution is set to 1152 X 720 (my goodness how any one can read
anything in that environment is beyond me!) and, my presentation if set
to to 800 X 600 appears pretty small in the center of the screen.
Asking them to adjust the display properties to 800 X 600 just makes
eyes roll and besides it tends to ruin the look... because the monitor
is optimized for a higher resolution and changing the monitor
resolution can wreck the pixels...? I really don't understand it very
well.

How do we do this in Revolution? What are the caveats? Don't some
graphics get "blown" when being oversized from their original? What is
Power Point doing behind the scenes to keep everything looking good if
it boots into a super high resolution-huge screen space?

I suspect  someone already has a set of pre-open stack handlers that
does this job across all platforms, if so, could you share those with
us? Along with the usual set of warnings about what not to do...

Thanks

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery