use-revolution Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sun Aug 1 12:58:31 EDT 2004

On Aug 1, 2004, at 12:39 PM, pkc wrote:

> My program of fixes (now under weigh) is:
>
> 1) Rename the current file on the FTP server with a "zip" suffix. Have
> unwitting subjects download it and see what happens.Transfer said
> renamed fake zip via disk and try to open. Probably won't work, but
> would tell a lot if one or both did.

Not recommended, unless you are looking for a new source of frustration.

> 2) Actually compress the file with Stuffit, replace the old file on
> the server, proceed as above.Transfer said genuine zip via disk and
> try to open.  I figure, slightly better chance of success?

Better than slightly. For me, it works every time.

> 3) Reinstall Revolution, re-download Win32, rebuild everything, zip,
> proceed as above.

Should not be required, though people have solved problems this way.

> 4) Transfer the stack file to some Windows machine somewhere running
> Revolution and build the thing.  Has to succeed, no?  But we would
> learn nothing.

Do you have virtual PC on your Mac? Try running your Windows
executables there, or indeed, building from there.

> 5) Flunk the 80 percent of the students in the course who are using
> Windows, on the grounds that their work is incomplete.  Attractive in
> its way.

Well, they certainly would learn *something* from that experience.

Keep in mind, this is NOT an insurmountable issue. Lots of us make
Windows builds from our Macs every day, with no special tricks or
unspoken know-how. We'll figure it out.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.