Error 0,0 in Windows Standalone

pkc pkc at mac.com
Sun Aug 1 00:32:08 EDT 2004

Troy Rollins <troy at rpsystems.net> wrote:

>... Have you tried zipping the stack before transferring it?
>In my case, I use stuffitDeluxe, right click on the windows app folder
>and select "Make self extracting executable". This stuffs the whole
>thing into a compressed exe file. I then send that to my PC, and double
>click it. It extracts, with everything intact... and I don't even have
>any .DSstore files hanging about.
>
>I'm using 2.2.1 on a G4, and haven't encountered any problems like what
>you've described. Letsee... how many stacks? They are internalized to
>the application in the distribution builder? Anything else you can tell
>us?

I thought of stuffing, or using a stuffed suffix, after seeing
another note on here about somebody who could not convince a Mac to
recognize an FTP'd bundle as an application until the computer
received it as a "compressed" file. My plan at this point is to first
rename the file now on the server with a zip extension and see if a
Windows machine will download and "assemble" it. Just curious.Plan B,
a genuinely compressed file downloaded and see what happens. Will
report results.

Still laying awake at nights wondering what is behind this,
especially as nobody else is having this problem, apparently.  Troy
asks how many stacks --a mainstack and seven substacks, all put on
the mainstack in the build. The rest of the code is pretty bland. Oh,
I did substitute the "transparent" ask and answer dialog stacks from
the user contribution page some time ago. I don't think I have done a
Windows build since plugging those in.

I have no idea whether "0,0" is a real error code in Windows or
whether it is the computer's way of saying it doesn't know what the
error is. I have glanced at some compendia of Windows error codes,
but they seem not only impenetrable but endless (not surprising). I
have no idea what order a Windows machine attempts to load  an
executable in anyway, whether some anomalous font or background image
is blocking the process (not using anything exotic in that regard,
though).