Any COMPLETE database solutions for Rev? (& thanks to all of u)

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Apr 30 12:44:42 EDT 2004

Le 30 avr. 04, à 16:23, JKValdez a écrit :

> I think all of the SQL dB posts ultimately are looking for a complete
> Rev solution. So does anyone have a *COMPLETE* IDE for making dB apps
> with Rev (something that resembles perhaps Filemaker or Access)? How
> about any tools or *most importantly* a full featured sample stack? Is
> anyone interested in teaming up on delivering this? I am willing to
> pay for these resources, but I need to determine the feasibility of
> making these front ends in Rev very soon, or I need to choose some
> other technology like Servoy.

JK,

I used Rev (and before that Metacard) as my main dev tool to build
"n-tier" apps for years (CRM client-side front ends, server-side Web
and CRM applications servers, binded to PostgreSQL, QTSS and so on,
back-end servers, client/server managment tools (PostgreSQL pgdumps,
QTSS movies updating, etc...).

Rev is the perfect tool to set-up, drive and manage those kind of
tasks, even if other tools, alike Servoy, are doing that too, as
specialized dedicated tools.

The main reason that pushed me to avoid the use of dedicated tools to
drive and manage my "n-tier" apps (including the main J2EE frameworks,
Servoy and others) has  to do with the fact that Rev let me do in just
one tool and one langage 95% of what i would have to code in using
dozen of different frameworks instead.

Each new needed line of code i write in transcript will be reused in
future apps and tasks for many and many times. If i try to do same in
using the J2EE paradigm (as an example), i will have to spend 70% of my
works in technical tasks (coding, frameworks set-up, unary testing,
etc..) and 30% in about designing my apps to feet the customers
needs...

In using Rev and Transcript, and, just because the "XTalk" paradigm key
features are binded together to give to the apps designer the more
suitable tools he need to never shut down in "only technical
engineering tasks and troubles" and always staying able to "see, watch
and build" the apps from a top headed point of view. Because Rev is, in
the same time, an object-modeled, a message-driven framework and a very
elegant langage, because Rev is builded on top of a micro-kernel
engine, bindable in both graphical and console modes to stacks,
standalones and scripts, this tools is the onest to let us, in using
Transcript, build drived events commands sent, in client/server mode,
not to an interpreter, not to a compiler but, just, to the Revolution
microkernel engine....

It's always, in using Rev, a way to build a solution witch will run as
fast as any C/C++ compiled app does (see benchmarks of the competitions
what are happening some times on the lists (archives) against tools
like Pascal, C/C++, RealBasic, Shell driven apps. About comparing the
Rev engine to the JVM 1.4.2, Rev 2.1.2 is, at least, running 600%
faster than the JVM in about TCP/IP sockets driven client/server
solutions (deamons) under the Linux x86 platform. As you right expect,
it can make a big difference in about all of the environmental
compartiments the Rev app is interacting with (hardware, databases
accesses, security including proxying apps, etc...).

One more word : Rev is the best tool i ever seen as able to run my apps
in test mode, along i'm developping and debugging them. Because its
native "client/server" architecture (IDE framework + console-mode
sockets driven events model + microkernel engine), i can, in the same
time, have the app (i'm right now coding) play back an rtsp streamed
movie and the script editor opened to code and debug an updated issue
of the code witch handle, right now, the movie playback...

Rev let us spend 70% of our working time in designing our apps and, for
me, the unintersting part of the job is at 0%, just because when we are
spending the needed 30% of time in writing the code, the pleasure is to
write the more compact, secure and elegant we can ;)

To the end, Rev is, at least, one of the bests tools, and perhaps the
best one, that give us the liberty to become, day after day, best apps
designer's and xtreme programming experts.

Hope this helps

Best Regards,

--
Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores+ at +easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:    +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"