Any COMPLETE database solutions for Rev? (& thanks to all of u)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Apr 30 11:49:01 EDT 2004

>I think all of the SQL dB posts ultimately are looking for a
>complete Rev solution. So does anyone have a *COMPLETE* IDE for
>making dB apps with Rev (something that resembles perhaps Filemaker
>or Access)? How about any tools or *most importantly* a full
>featured sample stack? Is anyone interested in teaming up on
>delivering this? I am willing to pay for these resources, but I need
>to determine the feasibility of making these front ends in Rev very
>soon, or I need to choose some other technology like Servoy.

Hi JK,

And thanks for associating me with such illustrious list members.

[set the promoMode of me to true]

"If you don't need 'Q', SDB will do."

If you require an SQL-compatible, relational database, I tend to
agree that the complete solution is not there yet (but I really don't
follow the progress: I just note questions & issues raised on the
list).

If you can get by with a hierarchical database (ie: manually maintain
any secondary indexes or do without them), Serendipity Library's SDB
(Serendipity Database--Binary) offers a reasonably complete solution,
IMF(oole's)O:

*  SDB is 100% native transcript; so it will run on any platform
Revolution Supports without extensions.

*  SDB includes a Utilities standalone to create, backup, & restore
database stacks, and to import data to & export data from the
database.

*  SDB includes an SDB Tools developers' plugin that supplements the
functionality of the Utilities standalone with a database data
dictionary editor and a handler to maintain a stack of basic front
end formats.

*  In addition to support for direct entry & maintenance of data
dictionary record definitions, the data dictionary editor includes
menuItems to automate data dictionary creation from the fields on a
front end card (optionally from the stack of front end formats
maintained via SDB Tools) and to apply an existing data dictionary
record definition to the fields of a front end card,  Both menuItems
will optionally add all handlers needed to support SDB to the front
end stack & card (with two choices as to the type of UI); so it is
possible to create a functional database front end with NO scripting.

*  At the present stage of development I need to begin testing
keyboard filtering frontscripts.  When the SDB keyboard filter is
functional, all editing specified in the data dictionary will be
applied to user input on a keystroke-by-keystroke basis, and the
input will be formatted to conform to dictionary specifications when
the input field is closed.  Date text will automatically be validated
& displayed based on the computer's system date format, while being
stored in Julian date format (ie: the centuryCutoff property becomes
irrelevant).  Numbers will be edited & displayed based on the user's
desired characters for currency, thousands separator, & decimal
separator, and stored in "raw" (ready for calculation in a Transcript
handler) numeric format.  Developer-defined data format masks and
data parsing handlers (within a standalone's script line limit) will
also be supported.

*  Serendipity Library includes a sample client front end which
allows the developer to select any db command, see the command syntax
& optionally modify one or more arguments, run the command, and see
the raw results.  This same stack also supports an auto test mode
where a random db command is issued every two seconds and the results
recorded.

*  SDB, as with all components of Serendipity Library, currently
converses in Dutch, English, French, German, & Spanish.

*  SDB is open source, and uses the revolution_ipc group's open
source library, libIPC, for client/server communication; single-user
& client/server syntax are identical, and front end stacks &
standalones can switch between the two operational modes at runtime.

[set the promoMode of me to false]

At this point I would normally post a URL to
serendipity_downloader.htm; however I'm in the process of changing
domains and have nothing currently accessible in cyber space.  So if
you would like to look more deeply into Serendipity Library & SDB,
the best I can do for the moment is attach it (about 1 MB for Mac or
Windows; 3.8 MB tar for 'nixes) to an eMail.  Let me know privately
if you are interested...include desired platform.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company