Remote Find Questions Revisited

Wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Wed Apr 28 15:59:05 EDT 2004

On 28 Apr 2004, at 18:00, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:53:32 -0700
> From: Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net>
> Subject: RE: Remote Find Questions Revisited
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>> I think it's not necessarily a function of the number of cards,
> but the fact that you have "mark any card"

snip

> Final note:  My original query asked whether there was an efficient
> means of searching a database stack remotely (ie: without actually
> going to the stack).  Since, AFAIK, one can only deal with the mark
> property of a card in the current stack ("get the mark of card x of
> stack y" produces compiler errors here), the answer to my original
> question seems to be "No."

Sorry, but this is not true. It is perfectly possible to do it without
"going" to the
specific stack or without making it the defaultstack or current stack.
You can test this by putting each of the following handlers in a button
in
the proximity of your "Test Results" field.

button 1:

on mouseUp
   put empty into field "Test Results"
   answer file "Select the stack:"
   if the result is "cancel" then exit mouseUp
   put it into x
   put "" into tList
   put the number of cards in stack x into tCount
   repeat 10
     put random(tCount) into a
     if a is not in tList then
       put "card" && a  \
           && "/ id " & the id of card a \
           of stack x & cr after tList
       mark card a of stack x
     end if
   end repeat
   put x & cr & "num of marked cards:" && \
       the number of marked cards of stack x \
       & cr & tList into fld "Test Results"
end mouseUp

button 2:

on mouseUp
   if field "Test Results" is "" then
     answer "Use button 1 first please :^)"
     exit to top
   end if
   put line 1 of field "Test Results" into x
   put "" into tList
   put the cardids of stack x into a
   repeat for each line i in a
     if the mark of card id i of stack x then
       put "card id" && i & cr after tList
       unmark card id i of stack x
     end if
   end repeat
   if tList = "" then put "no marked cards" into tList
   put  cr & tList  after  field "Test Results"
end mouseUp

Something you cannot do is use the command "unmark all cards"
as this indeed requires the defaultstack set to the "searched" stack.

> --
>
> Rob Cozens
> CCW, Serendipity Software Company
> http://www.oenolog.net/who.htm