Using one's own images for cursors

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 27 23:11:29 EDT 2004

Peter Rootham-Smith wrote:

>> From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
>>
>>> I'm trying to use images produced in Photoshop as cursors in RR.  I saw
>>> a comment that after importing the image one had to touch it with a
>>> brush or something like that to get RR to convert it into an internal
>>> format.
>>>
>>> Is there any way of getting RR to do this conversion programmatically?
>>> The manual way isn't so practical for me.
>>

>> Just how many custom cursor are you using?  I once considered making an
>> automated solution, but it's so easy to do manually the cost/benefit
>> ratio just wasn't favoring automation.
>

> I'm trying to set the cursor on the fly to images I select.  PNGs come
> out all white, GIFs all black, but with the transparent pixels transparent.
>
> Thanks for the helpful comments but I'll check out whether this can be
> automated.

For that task automation seems well worthwhile.

Remember that you can get the color at a given pixel location by
querying the image's imageData, which might be helpful in determining
where to click with the erase tool so you don't inadertently knock out a
  pixel from the cursor image.

In fact, I wonder if Dar or one of the other imageData gurus here might
offer a tip for re-ordering colors using imageData alone....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation