determining 404

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 26 13:40:56 EDT 2004

On Monday, April 26, 2004, at 09:43  AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Is there something in the header that identifies that?
>
> How can I know when a requested URL doesn't exist?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

Hi,

There is nothing in the header or the body for that matter that is part
of the HTML 4.0 spec. If you are in control of the URL/page used then
you can add a tag set to your HTML that will state that your stuff is
really there. In other words if your custom tag set is missing from
your pages then it must be 404 for your URLs. You can use: <not
404></not 404> in all your destination URLs and they will just be
ignored by browsers during rendering.

I guess you're out of luck if you are building a browser.

Mark