Protecting Code

Cubist at aol.com Cubist at aol.com
Sat Apr 24 01:53:53 EDT 2004

sez kee at kagi.com:
>If I was going to create Revolution code that I wanted to give to
>others but that I wanted to make sure that they could not change in the
>Revolution Editor, how would I protect it? I'd want people to be able
>to call it and compile it into their standalone apps. My preference is
>to not use an XCMD kind of thing because I'd like to write once, lock,
>and then allow people to deploy everywhere.
   I don't think what you're asking for is possible. If you don't want to go
the XCMD route, your code *will* be plain vanilla ASCII at some point, and
anyone who wants to muck with said code will be able to do so at that point.
Perhaps if I knew what goal you're striving towards, I might be able to offer some
helpful advice: Are you trying to stop code thieves, or are you trying to
ensure that the user will always have a pristine copy of your code in case they
*do* screw it up horribly, or what?