Using font sizes other than whole numbers

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Apr 22 22:28:12 EDT 2004

Recently, "Bill" wrote:

>>> I am still struggling with the attempt to print government forms with RunRev
>>> the same as I do with Hypercard and nine to five reports. I have noticed
>>> that when you set font sizes you can set them in whole numbers only but you
>>> cannot set a font size of say 6.5
>>>
>>> Is there a work-around for this?
>>
>> One thing I can think of right offhand is to use a different font that gets
>> you close to the point size or wrapping you want.
>
> As government forms are well government forms there is not much allowance
> for different fonts nor different font sizes. They really don't take jokes
> very well either.

It's no joke.  There are umpteen variations of Helvetica and Times (two of
most government-suited fonts there are) that, depending on the weight/style,
may allow you to approximate the appearance of a half point one way or the
other.  If you have to distribute your documents and rely on what's
available on target machines, you don't have many options here.

Other than creating a custom font, I really don't know of any other
workarounds.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director