More-Save Stack Woes - Could someone PLEASE explain this...

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu Apr 22 08:44:08 EDT 2004

On Donnerstag, Apr 22, 2004, at 13:08 Europe/Zurich, David Burgun wrote:

> Is this supposed to happen? Is this a bug in the RunRev (v2.2 running
> MacOS Classic and X) App?  I've played around with the destroyStack
> and destroyWindow properties, they don't seem to do anything.
>
> As far as I can tell, I've done everything that people on this list
> have suggested I do in order to get this to work, and it just plain
> doesn't and now I don't know where else to turn...........
>
> If someone could please just explain how to do this simple operation
> I'd would be eternally grateful!

A stack retains its values when:
1. It is not closed
2. It is closed and saved

As you do not save, the stack must actually not be closed!
And you found the reason for that already. A substack remains in memory
even when it is closed, as long as the main stack is not closed. Same
goes the other way around. Thus to not save your changes you must close
(using the destroystack property) all stacks in the same stack file.

More on this in these Documentation entries:
About... main stacks, substacks, and the organization of stack files
About.... windows palettes, and dialog boxes
mainStack property
openStacks function
revLoadedStacks function