Revolution as CGI in OS X

Terry Vogelaar terry at discovery.nl
Thu Apr 22 05:19:37 EDT 2004

J. Landman Gay heeft op donderdag, 22 apr 2004 om 07:11
(Europe/Amsterdam) het volgende geschreven:

> On 4/21/04 6:57 PM, Thomas McGrath III wrote:
>
>> THanks J.
>> But even this below is a bit beyond my understanding at this time. i
>> THINK i know about what you are saying here but I could also be way
>> off in my understanding as well. I am a novice.
>
> Grab the file I mentioned and I think it will all come clear.
> Basically what I was saying is that you need to copy the Rev engine to
> the server. For most operating systems, you can just use a copy of the
> regular Rev application. On OS X though you need a special version of
> the Rev engine. That engine is called the "Darwin" version and it can
> be downloaded from the RR site (there is a URL in my notes.) The
> Darwin engine isn't normally used for anything other than running CGIs
> on OS X.
>
> There is a "cgi" folder on most servers which is used to hold CGI
> scripts. My notes suggest copying the engine to that folder, though
> technically it doesn't have to go there. If you are just starting out
> though, it's easier to keep it there.
>
> My notes do assume that you know a bit about how CGIs work in general,
> so a little Googling on the subject might help if you've never done
> this stuff before.
>
> The first time you get it working, the "cool factor" is palpable.

Jacque,
I must say that your files helped me a lot, both in using RunRev as CGI
and in using my MacOSX system as a test server to develop my CGIs. I
may add some notes for the command-line phobics like me.

Firstly I thought I had to install Apache first before I could setup my
mac as test server. But it was much simpler: I just had to turn it on
in the system prefs. Maybe quite obvious, but I missed it.

Secondly you wrote that setting permissions is done better in the
terminal than in the info panels. I found an alternative way: using an
FTP program like Transmit. I just used "127.0.0.1" (the IP-number that
means 'this computer') as server name, with my normal OSX name and
password. That way I could browse to the files and set the permissions
like I would on a remote server, without using the terminal. I know
'terminal' doesn't mean 'lethal' for computer users, but it still makes
me feel uncomfortable :-)

Everyone who ever successfully installed a Perl CGI on a remote server,
should be able to understand everything you wrote.

Terry