Revolution as CGI in OS X

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 22 01:11:15 EDT 2004

On 4/21/04 6:57 PM, Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> THanks J.
>
> But even this below is a bit beyond my understanding at this time. i
> THINK i know about what you are saying here but I could also be way off
> in my understanding as well. I am a novice.

Grab the file I mentioned and I think it will all come clear. Basically
what I was saying is that you need to copy the Rev engine to the server.
For most operating systems, you can just use a copy of the regular Rev
application. On OS X though you need a special version of the Rev
engine. That engine is called the "Darwin" version and it can be
downloaded from the RR site (there is a URL in my notes.) The Darwin
engine isn't normally used for anything other than running CGIs on OS X.

There is a "cgi" folder on most servers which is used to hold CGI
scripts. My notes suggest copying the engine to that folder, though
technically it doesn't have to go there. If you are just starting out
though, it's easier to keep it there.

My notes do assume that you know a bit about how CGIs work in general,
so a little Googling on the subject might help if you've never done this
stuff before.

The first time you get it working, the "cool factor" is palpable.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com