But what's the question? (was: RB clear winner in speed

Norman Winn norman at mrsystems.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 16:00:45 EDT 2004

Monte Goulding wrote:

> We can't change the fact that RB has a faster substring
> searcher than Rev

I am glad this comment has appeared. Not that I want to judge the tool
I use on a single test but because I felt doubts of being part of
something where those deeply involved didn't come up out with clear
statements like this.

Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> In a real world application, who cares whether a particular
> routine takes 100 ms or 500 ms

If you are contemplating building big, complex solutions this does
matter. Sure, when you start out you don't notice the difference. As
time goes on and routines call others that call others .... these time
differences multiply. I recently took a look at some python demos done
with the wxPython toolkit ( wxPython Demo > Process and  Events >
EventManager). This shows a series of buttons that reacted to the
movement of the mouse in a larger rectangle. No matter how fast I moved
the mouse over those buttons they reacted. This was impressive.
Especially as it is under OS X on a 400 Mhz Powerbook. That is the kind
of test I would prefer to see,

Norman