But what's the question? (was: RB clear winner in speed test)

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Wed Apr 21 10:40:23 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, at 06:55  AM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> From: "Monte Goulding" <monte at sweattechnologies.com>
> Subject: RE: But what's the question? (was: RB clear winner in speed
> 	test)
> To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>

> We can't change the fact that RB has a faster substring
> searcher than Rev but we can make that fact irrelevant.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Monte,

I don't think this is true.  There's no reason that offset(), "is in",
and "contains" shouldn't all be

    1) the same speed, and

    2) faster than the equivalent RealBasic versions.

 From the various tests that people have been doing it's obvious that
these three functions have never been optimized.  There are lots of
very fast offset() functions available that handle grep-like
expressions that are much faster than what is being used by RR -- I
would look at the gnu versions for a start...

-- Frank

p.s. And split() could be sped up at the same time...