How do I Create a Custom Property

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 08:48:56 EDT 2004

On Mittwoch, Apr 21, 2004, at 14:38 Europe/Zurich, David Burgun wrote:

>> from the "CustomKeys" dictionary page:
>> "The customKeys of an object is a list of that object's custom
>> property names, one per line."
>> How is that not descriptive?
>
> Because when you type "list" or "property list" or any combination of
> those into he same "dictionary" it gives nothing back! This is true
> all over the place! It's like having a normal english dictionary with
> an entry for (say) "Hog" that says "type of "Pig"" but then doesn't
> define a Pig!!!

I actually never had problems knowing what a list is... and I am pretty
sure you don't either. You have to stop think in programmers terms, a
list is a listing, a row of items, an ordered mass. Everyone knows that.

>> Also "propertylist" is just another way for saying: "that
>> linedelimited list you get or set in relation to customKeys."
>
> It doesn't say that either!
>
> I'm just finding myself getting increasingly frustrated by (the lack)
> of decent documentation!

Maybe you shouldn't try to find documentation, and instead try to
understand things, and if documentation is necessary for that, so be it.

> Also from reading:

> Does it say anywhere that the last entry doesn't have/need a return
> character? The natural way of expecting a list to be formatted would
> be to have a terminator at the end of each line. If there is only one
> line, is there a return at the beginning of the line? at the end? none
> at all?

Again you're overly complex. If you do this:
put return& "myNewCustomProp"  & return after myCustomKeys
you will achieve exactly the same as the above statement! Yes RunRev
keeps you from worrying about every detail, and that is a good thing,
don't you agree?