RB clear winner in speed test

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 21 01:15:13 EDT 2004

Brian Yennie wrote:
> Chris,
>
> To be fair- the 3-word optimization was pointed out more than once on
> the list and you never indicated that it was a problem- we assumed the
> sample data had become realistic.
>
> So you gotta give Rev a better shake than to consider the "final"
> benchmark as running 3-word optimized code on 3-7 word data!

He will.  Any reasonable evaluation will encompass more than just raw
speed on a single algorithm, esp. with the results so close and Rev's
performance certainly well within an acceptable range.  Factoring in
productivity and, in Chris' case, experience with xTalk, the choice will
become evident.

Rev doesn't claim to be the fastest language on the planet.  Like I said
before, if raw speed is a critical factor and 3GLs aren't a bore one
would get far better performance and have more tools and examples to
draw from  using the industry standard, C (an in many cases fewer lines
of code than BASIC).

And adopting that standard for that one critical algorithm won't
encumber the other 90% of development with a compile-runtime cycle,
tedious memory management, and other bit-counting exercises so often
done better by machines.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation