Problems with 'Launch <doc> with <app>'

JonathanC at ag.nsw.gov.au JonathanC at ag.nsw.gov.au
Tue Apr 20 19:00:03 EDT 2004

Thanks for the reply, Sarah.

Sarah Reichelt <sarahr at genesearch.com.au> wrote on Tue, 20 Apr 2004
13:52:39 +1000:

> > ... I opened the bundle and found the actual application
> > file I was looking for. I then made a note of all the folders
> > surrounding
> > it (remembering to add ".app" for the bundle folder) and used this to
> > create my launch command:
> >
> > launch  "/Users/jonathan/Documents/Test.txt" with \
> > "/Application Folders/BBEdit 7.0/BBEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/BBEdit"
>
> Does "/Application Folders/BBEdit 7.0/BBEdit.app" work?
> I have tried "/Applications/TextEdit.app" and it works fine.

Well, yes and no.
This works (as long as Rev didn't think it launched BBEdit and is still
"alive"):
launch "/Application Folders/BBEdit 7.0/BBEdit.app"

HOWEVER, this doesn't:
launch "/Users/jonathan/Documents/Test.txt" with \
"/Application Folders/BBEdit 7.0/BBEdit.app"
(Result: "No such program".)

Again, the only way I can get Rev to open a DOCUMENT with BBEdit, is this:
launch "/Users/jonathan/Documents/Test.txt" with \
"/Application Folders/BBEdit 7.0/BBEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/BBEdit"

... and, again, this has the strange effect of opening the document window
BEHIND Rev's windows.

This has got to be a BUG, right?

> > Strangely, if I had already launched BBEdit from Rev, I would get an
> > error
> > "Process already open" and nothing would happen.
>
> ... Rev seems to keep a list of
> processes that it started and doesn't let go even if the program has
> finished. If the program is still running, this command doesn't
> actually stop it, it just clears Rev's brain enough to allow you to use
> it again.
>
>   if the openProcesses contains appPath then
>      kill process appPath
>    end if
> where appPath is the full location of your app as discussed above.

Thanks, that works, although after about a second, the message box shows
this result:
Process didn't die.
Is it just me, or does this strike others as funny, in a black sort of
way?

Finally, Sarah, any idea why I was getting an "Error -43" with your
"Launch.rev" stack?

Regards,
Jonathan

Jonathan Cooper