Windows Distribution Icon

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Apr 19 20:05:25 EDT 2004

> >I am trying to build a Windows distribution.  In order for it to
> correctly
> >add my icon, I need to have an icon file containing icons in 9 different
> >formats.  Does anyone out there know how I would go about making
> that icon
> >file?
>
> As has already been pointed out, more or less any icon editor
> will do this:
> for Windows, an adequate editor IMO is the shareware IconCool
> Editor (find
> it via Tucows). If you're on a Mac, Iconographer will generate correct
> Windows icons. Do watch the format that RR calls for however, as just one
> slip can bring disaster (for example the wrong color depth in just one of
> the images). RR is AFAIKS much more fussy than Windows itself
> about this stuff.

Yes, Rev is fussy about the icon formats. That's because you need to replace
the icons in the engine with the ones you want. We've gone with the image
formats that Microsoft suggests for a backwards compatable executable. This
way you application icon will look it's best no matter the size or screen
depth.

PS Microangelo and IconWorkshop are also good windows icon editors.
IconWorkshop can also do OS X icons I think.

Cheers

Monte