[MORE INFO] Popup and radio button alignment off by 1 -- MacOSX vs PC

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Apr 19 18:13:21 EDT 2004

On Monday, April 19, 2004, at 08:19 AM, Frank Leahy wrote:

> It looks like the problem is that labels and fields are 1 pixel
> higher, rather than controls being 1 pixel lower.

My experience shows a lot of differences in fonts between Windows XP
and OS X.  A shift of a pixel is to be expected.

Here is the formattedHeight and formattedWidth of the word "Washington"
in 12 pt Arial:

     Windows XP  14 X 66
     OS X        16 X 65

 From those numbers, you can probably guess where the pixel is coming
from.

And 12 point matches better than most.

When fixedLineHeight is false, the differences can be very noticeable
for tall fields or with some fonts or sizes.

It baffles me that the same font and same size would layout differently
on different systems.  I would think the artsy types would be screaming.

It would be nice to have a way to have text look the same, even if it
means using special fonts.

For cases like yours, it might be nice to fix the location of a label
by base-line or mid-x or mid-X.

Dar Scott